Thursday, December 7, 2017

Has Capitalism Ruined Christmas?



        New York City is portrayed as what many would call “The Jingle Bell City” through many movies and shows relating to Christmas and other end of the year celebrations. Living in New York City during winter can be grueling with strong freezing winds and snow that looks like charcoal, but there’s one thing not even the Grinch can deny, the beauty of New York City during Christmas time. As I was walking out of Fordham Lincoln Center today, I noticed a beautiful Nativity Scene displayed right in the Main entrance to campus.


         Looking at this gorgeous yet humble piece made me realize the humble reasons why we celebrate this glorious holiday. On December 25th billions of people across the world gather up with their families and relatives to celebrate the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. Christmas is a time of family reunion, a time where Christians come together to celebrate what can be seen as the start of their religion, the start of their calendar. This isn’t the case in many Christmas celebrations we see today. Capitalism has changed the reasons why people celebrate Christmas. People aren’t celebrating the birth of our savior, but the expensive gifts they are being given. Capitalism is ruining Christmas. The overwhelming majority of people spend thousands of dollars decorating houses and public spaces and not for a second think why they’re actually doing it. In the cab ride home I kept thinking about this issue and I couldn’t stop thinking about Dorothy day and her critiques against capitalism and over extravagant lifestyles.
            Dorothy Day as we all know left a life full of luxuries and riches to one with the bear minimum, in order to suffer and help others. She devoted her life to the idea that everyone should be equal and no one should live a life of un-necessary luxuries. As we drove down 5th avenue I kept noticing how this once humble celebration. I kept asking my-self why has capitalism attacked such a holly holiday. As I was pulling into my building I noticed this huge Christmas tree decorated in fine arrangements. I normally would’ve walked right by it, maybe think to my-self: “oh this is nice.” And carry on with my day, but today I stopped and thought, do people even know why we celebrate this holiday. Is capitalism the only reason why this tree looks so grand or is it truly the community’s love for Jesus?

            Judging from what I know about my fellow neighbors, I think this tree looks like this because of the fancier is better mindset a lot of them have. This tree doesn’t celebrate our Saviors birth in any way nor does it tie back with the religion. It’s the cause of a capitalistic, money hungry society that will exploit everything including the birth of our Savior. Though it is grand and luxurious, it is empty, and holds no merit. As Dorothy Day felt when she was living her extravagant life. The humble nativity scene truly represents Christmas and what Christmas is all about. Thanks to this course I am able to automatically address these issues and truly understand why things are how they are. It has given me background in order to analyze this current situation in real life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Fragment of the Berlin Wall

It’s always nice to walk along the Esplanade in Battery Park and look across the Hudson River when the weather is nice; during the fal...